Not everyone is a candidate for LASIK eye surgery. Sometimes people have thin corneas or excessive dry eyes and it makes them simply not a good candidate for LASIK eye surgery. Your eye doctors will examine your eyes and determine what the best vision correction option should be. It is our goal at OPN to make sure that you know all your options. Depending on your refractive error we may suggest different types of vision correction. The Visian ICL represents a great option for many patients that may not be good LASIK candidates but also those that have high levels of myopia.
Visian ICL also called the Implantable Collamer Lens. Collamer Lens), created by STAAR® Surgical Company, is a phakic intraocular lens (IOL) for the treatment of myopia and other refractive errors.
Quality of Vision Excellence - High Definition Visian™
The Visian ICL offers vision correction that's sharper, clearer, more vivid, and has greater depth and dimension than other procedures. The main advantage of the Visian ICL over traditional corrective laser eye surgery is that patients may experience significant improvement in quality of vision after the lens is implanted. When compared to the results of corneal refractive surgery, the Visian ICL may produce superior vision quality as evidenced by fewer higher order aberrations 2. Patients experience a nearly immediate visual recovery and"Wow!" results.
You may be a candidate for the Visian® ICL if you:
- Are over 18 years old with a stable prescription
- Desire better vision, whether or not you've been told you're a candidate for LASIK
- Have low, moderate, or extreme nearsightedness
- Have healthy eyes without disease or serious ailments
- Have realistic expectations and are educated and informed about the risks and benefits of ICL surgery and the alternatives
What Happens in Visian ICL surgery?
During the ICL procedure no corneal tissue is removed. The lens is inserted through a small, 3 millimeter, self-sealing opening where no stitches are needed. The lens is inserted behind the iris, and in front of the natural lens where it cannot be seen or felt. Vision is significantly improved immediately after surgery, and continues to improve over the next few days. Vision is often described as ultra-high definition. As with all surgeries, there are some risks with ICL surgery. Risk can be minimized by selecting an experienced surgeon and the right surgical environment. Your doctor will discuss potential risks and benefits of ICL surgery with you prior to determining candidacy and help you make an informed decision regarding whether or not ICL surgery is right for you.
- Quality of Vision - The Visian ICL produces not only improved visual acuity, but also excellent visual quality. Many patients experience the "Wow" factor when they experience the immediate improvement in the quality of their vision.
- Biocompatibility - Collamer, the 100 percent pure collagen copolymer lens material of the Visian ICL, is not viewed as a foreign object by the body's immune system. Versatility - The Visian ICL offers a wider treatment range for myopia than LASIK and PRK procedures.
- Simplicity - Unlike traditional contact lenses, once the Visian ICL is implanted in the eye, there is no additional maintenance needed.
- Lens Placement - The placement of the Visian ICL makes the lens invisible to the patient and any observer.
- Removable - The Visian ICL was designed to be permanently placed in the eye. However, the lens can be removed if a patient's vision changes or if it otherwise needs to be removed or replaced.